Bo and I are at the airport awaiting our flight from Nairobi back to the US. The girls will head out a little later tonight. Plans changed the last few days in Machakos, as they always seem to do. The chairmanthat oversees the public space where Onesmus planned his crusade reneged on his commitment to give Onesmus the space this weekend. We had to cancel the crusade. Onesmus was devastated. I don’t know if I have ever seen him so disappointed. But the Lord is always one step ahead of us. Friday afternoon, about the time they would have started the crusade, a rain storm blew in and brought rain for the rest of the evening. It would have been a disaster – damaging equipment and scattering everyone to find shelter. God had other plans.
Vanessa and Taylor felt a burden for the girls at Sha’s school, so we arranged for them to go up on Friday. They shared with all of the girls that afternoon and had a really powerful time. Many girls responded in prayer and tears which, for high school girls listening to unknown westerners, is rare. Sha’ said the very next morning she walked by a group of kids who were having early morning prayer in class and heard all of them weeping and crying out to God in intercession. It seems something changed. Taylor and Vanessa spent the rest of the evening with Sha’, which I know was really important and encouraging for her.
Friday Bo and I had time meeting with Onesmus. We received architectural plans for a new temporary structure to put on their current property. They have a good amount of space on their compound and the landlord will allow them to stay for 4 more years. Rather than wait for the resources, legality/lands issues, etc, it seems the Lord is leading us to do more and as much as we can right now while we work things out on the land. The first thing we need is more space for the current children. So we are praying and making plans for a 3 room place to be completed before the end of the year. Because Emily (Children’s Department) is really trusting and looking to Esther, the extra space will probably mean more children. But after seeing the Government Rescue center and hearing more of the stories, I don’t know how we can say no. Please pray for God to lead us in all of these decisions. There seems to be a endless number of needs. But seeing the growth and healing taking place in the children at O and E’s home gives hope and encouragement to keep going.
Saturday the girls spent the day playing with the children. Bo and I met with James to discuss his business that we helped him to start in Kibunga. It has been about 7 months and he is turning a profit of about $100 per month. Being profitable in the first year for any business is difficult, so we were encouraged. Kibunga is suffering a major drought, which has also made doing business there a challenge. We are praying for the Lord to bring rain and water to Kibunga and for James to reach a point soon where his business can care for all of his family’s needs. Esther and I also spent time talking about the future and updates on many of the children in the program. I hope to share more about that in the coming weeks. Thanks to everyone for their prayers. We are all really encouraged heading home from this trip.